Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunshine and School

Today is the first full day of sunshine in January. I am enjoying it very much even though it is quite cold. Everyone is walking around the city in their furry hats and hoods with strollers, sleds, and even skateboards. I walk past the official residence of the president every day and have enjoyed watching a tussle between some young skateboarders and the security people. There is a nice long ramp leading out of the president's gated and locked parking area and the small street in front. Young boys with big sunglasses are determined to enjoy skateboarding on it. Today there was no opposition.

The sweepers are working hard to clear the park and the area around the Ștefan cel Mare statue with their handmade brooms and other things. Young people are everywhere posing for photos taken by their friends. I have finally decided that the groups of older men debating in the park are not divided into Romanian or Russian language groups. Everyone argues in both languages!

The Academy of Music has started and I have a busy schedule ahead. I will take three classes per week from two different excellent Moldovan ethnomusicologists. I am having three nai lessons per week and practicing as much as possible, although now that the students are back I end up in the hall with the trumpets sometimes. I will teach a class once per week and continue to work with my friend the amazing electronic composer. I look forward to helping with the preservation and digital backup of the 14,000 folklore recordings in the collection at the Academy. We are also planning to use my bass and alto flutes for a tour of Moldova with the Academy flute ensemble.


I will give a presentation every month at the American Resource Center on music in America. These are attended by English language students and their teachers. Yesterday I presented the idea of American Roots Music. In February it will be music at the White House, in March Women in Blues and Gospel, in April American Indian music, and May is yet to be decided. I had fun and enjoyed playing some of my favorite tunes with a very talented guitarist.

And now I must go study for my Romanian language class! Here is a picture of our language school. I have quite a bit to prepare for my next class on Tuesday morning!

2 comments:

  1. Got an email about the presentation. Sounds Cool! good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice entry with photos! Wish I could be there for the Music at the White House presentation! :)
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete