Sunday, February 6, 2011

Teaching World Music in Moldova





This notice appeared on a bulletin board in the Academy of Music yesterday. It announces my sessions every Tuesday to introduce sounds and musical ideas from many places around the world. The class will combine a  new approach to ethnomusicology in Moldova with a chance for students to practice their English language skills.You can see the announcement of the class along with a short bio for me and the schedule of topics for the next eight weeks - in Romanian.

Each week I will write a short presentation, give it to a student to translate into Romanian language, and prepare it for projecting onto the wall. That way the students can read the English text while I speak, and hear the text repeated in Romanian. In the middle of each presentation the students will see and hear musical events on DVDs. At the end of each session I will present some questions for discussion and ask for questions from them. Music students are very often shy about speaking English with me, although many are very proficient as they gain confidence. Almost all of the students know both Romanian and Russian already, but have had little opportunity to interact with a native English speaker. I enjoy speaking Romanian with them (and a little Russian) quite often, and they are very patient to explain things to me.

The serious and gifted ethnomusicologists I have met in Moldova have confirmed to me that their focus in the discipline has always been on Moldova itself rather than the broader scope of ethnomusicology that includes the whole world. I have enjoyed my colleagues' expertise in documenting, analyzing, and teaching about music from Moldovan traditions. They are thoughtful and insightful and I have learned many things from their intense interest in music in this region. They have all expressed interest in my presentations and we have enjoyed exchanging ideas and experiences.

The wonderful thing about the photo showing the announcement of the class is that everyone already knew about it. Word has traveled fast and I am anticipating a good turnout. It will be different from the classes I teach in Wyoming, but interesting and fun for all of us.

2 comments: