Friday, October 15, 2010

Chisinau city day!

Yesterday was the official Chisinau city day. What a big celebration! The city closed off almost a mile of Stefan cel Mare boulevard to allow people to set up stall and stages for performances, displays, and stands for selling things. I walked the whole length of it twice. In the big central plaza a huge stage was erected and a hot air balloon was inflated at bout 5 p.m. to prepare for the big ceremonies.

The stands were being set up the day before. Some were made completely of willows and gave a very nice smell to the area. Food was cooking everywhere and items ranging from clothing, crafts, shoes, and books to cell phones and garden tractors. I had to really enjoy the mechanical bull set up for rides near the statues of Pushkin and Stefan cel Mare. It seemed like almost everyone attended. My neighborhoos was suddenly deserted as people made their way up to the festival.

I really enjoy the way many Moldovans take time to talk with me, even when they know I cannot understand everthing they are saying. It is as though the act of conversation as a social event is more important than what is said.

We had another great Romanian class this morning. The class is lively and the students are very bright. It is hard to keep up with the other students!

This weekend I will see what is happening around town. I am spending a lot of time studying, practicing, and working on my own so I will need to get out a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah!

    No - I have yet to do any recording, but plan to get some soundscapes pretty soon. The various minibuses and trolleys are pretty interesting, as well the sounds of practicing accordions, clarinets, trumpets, and nai in the hallways at the Academy.

    ReplyDelete