Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Nai lessons

I have started my nai lessons with Professor Negura. He is an excellent teacher and I am really enjoying practicing and studying with him. I have already had two lessons and will have another one tomorrow. He has had me practicing all in "first position" (G major) so far and I am much more relaxed than when I was trying to make my own way. What a joy for me to study with such a distinguished teacher.

I am also really enjoying studying at the Academy of Music. I am taking classes with two excellent professors. They are different levels and different topics related to Moldovan music. Everything is in Romanian language and I am keeping up pretty well. I do think my notes probably end up a lot different from the notes taken by the other students (maybe some different information......) so I check with them sometimes.

It has been raining and cold, but the city is very interesting and I really enjoy walking around. I have become quite interested in attending some more orthodox churches to hear the music. I also plan to attend the Roman Catholic church downtown to hear their choir.

I have a presentation on Balinese gamelan coming up for the Academy of Sciences. My colleague from the Academy has offered to translate for me, which I think means she will translate the transcipt (I already wrote it and sent it to her) and then coach me on pronounciation (I may need a lot of coaching.....). I gave a presentaion on Irish flute for a class yesterday and they seemed very interested.

I will attend two concerts this week at the Sala cu Orgel including one by their resident orchestra. This is the most interesting to me!

Maybe dinner tonight at "acasa la mama".....

No comments:

Post a Comment