Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Classes!!

I had a very interesting weekend with a trip in the rain and wind and cold to the annual wine festival, a wonderful visit with my friends, and a concert on Sunday night. I am learning to live in Moldova.

I now have a Moldovan cell phone and number. Quite exciting! It is one of those sweet little Nokia's favored by my son Colin. Now I know why he likes his so much.

Yesterday was a stunning day. Many thanks to my wonderful colleague from the Academy of Music, I now have access to the national library and will hopefully have access to the library at the Academy of Science soon. These are important for me as I learn more and more Romanian and can access journals, books, recordings, etc. I met the most respected Moldovan scholar of folk music in his office at the Academy of Sciences and he gave me two hours of his time to answer questions and tell me all about Lautarii and naiists in Moldova. I have read his articles and was thrilled to be able to meet him and ask him questions directly.

Today started with muesli and yogurt (I know now that yogurt is called Bioaurt at the local Fidesco shop) and of course amazing instant coffee. The weather has turned nice so I enjoyed my walk to Romanian class. Then I had the pleasure of attending two classes at the Academy on folk music and traditions. The professor talked about wedding traditions and then in the second class she played lots of great recordings and had the students help me with my Romanian translations.

People in Moldova have already been so wonderfully generous with me! Every day is something new for me living in the city, but the real highlight is always the great experiences of being with people. I am hoping to be in touch with my nai (panflute) teacher soon so I can get a lesson this week. Everyone says he is the greatest! Then I am planning to attend a concert at the Roman Catholic church downtown. I features choral groups from Russia, Beloruss, Moldova, and other eastern places.

1 comment:

  1. I do love my Nokia! Unfortunately I have to change since AllTel is becoming AT&T in Laramie, oh well I'll go for the flip nokia...Sounds like you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete