Saturday, October 30, 2010

traveling like a Moldovan

In Chisinau, Moldovans tend to carry light and simple briefcases with them. I tend to carry big bags with lots of flutes and books in them, but decided to try the small briefcase idea. It makes perfect sense for traveling on the minibuses that go all over the city. Basically, during busy times (almost all the time), the vehicle just keeps picking up passengers until everyone is packed as tightly as possible all the way back - and then it picks up some more! This makes it very difficult when I am carrying a big heavy bag.

I bought a small bag at the grocery store and have enjoyed using it a lot. Of course, my problem is that I must carry the nai (big panflute) with me most of the time. the longest tube is 17 inches and the instrument is about 20 inches across the other way, so I have some enormous bags for carrying it which I tend to load up with other stuff (dictionaries, books, etc.) so I have not really made much progress.

Realizing that a lot of life in Chisinau, like in any city, is a matter of style, I have decided to get someone to make one of these really cool form fitted bags for the nai. They are shaped like the panflute itself and I hope will make not only a great style statement for me, but also make carrying and traveling easier. I will let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment