Friday, October 8, 2010

More R&R

This morning I attended my first class at the Casa de limbii romane, a local language school here in Chisinau. I am taking Romanian for the 2010-2011 school year. Today I have not worked with any English speakers at all (not even at the language school) and have enjoyed conducting every conversation in Romanian.

The class was excellent! It consists of 13 native Russian speakers and me, so it is conducted entirely in Russian and Romanian. Many thanks to my fine Russian teacher at the University of Wyoming, I was able to keep up and the teacher even placed me with the more advanced group even though I have missed some classes already. The Romanian class teacher is excellent and the materials look great. I will have class every Tuesday and Friday from 9 - 10:30 a.m. and plan to work hard to get good and keep up with the class! The students are excellent as well and seem very motivated to learn Romanian.

My welcome at the Academy of Music has been warm. I worked in the library today for about an hour and enjoyed being surrounded by the sounds of so many instruments, including accordions and trumpets practicing in the halls! The Academy is a great place and really inspiring to me. And now I must go practice the nai so I can make some progress myself!

This weekend I plan to find the Irish pub and see about some tunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment