Monday, October 25, 2010

A haircut and the neighbors

Some of you have been wondering about how my neighbors are taking the nai practice in my apartment. I have been very careful to be respectful and not practice too late, and I put myself in a back room where the sound should not carry too far. But on Saturday and very nice man with a small dog came to the apartment and told me in Russian that he would like to take a nap and that the flute was disturbing him. Frankly, the high notes were disturbing me too, so it was kind of nice to take a break and try to think of other places to practice. Musicians get used to finding out of the way places, and I remember very well practicing in the parking garage of the Denver Performing Arts Center when I was in the Colorado Ballet Orchestra, and janitor's closets in the schools where I taught in Melbourne.

Yesterday and today I was at the Academy of Music early to practice. Yesterday I found an empty classroom, but today I used the janitor's closet. Ah well, the life of a musician. Fortunately I am getting better every day and someday the high notes might even sound good!

I have been wanting to get a haircut here in Moldova, but was not sure where to go. It turns out that there is a barbershop right next to my neighborhood Alimentara (small grocery store). It has a big sign that says, "Frizerie." In my jet lagged days I somehow thought maybe it was a big freezer, and then later as I was trying to memorize a lot of new Romanian vocabulary I thought maybe it was a place where they train shop assistants.

In any case, it turned out to be a barbershop (also a new vocabulary word) and I went in on Friday and got an excellent Moldovan haircut.

No comments:

Post a Comment